Business License Renewal

Business License Application

To apply for or renew a Kanab City Business License, print and complete the
Kanab City Business License Application.

Do I need a Business License?

A valid Kanab City business license is required for all businesses that are located within the Kanab City limits. A business license is the means whereby Kanab City grants permission to engage in a business activity at a specific location within the City.

9-01-020 Business Definition: To engage in any activity or business means:

(a) operating, keeping, conducting, or maintaining a vacation rental dwelling;

(b) sale of tangible personal property at retail or wholesale;

(c) manufacturing of goods; or

(d) rendering of services to others for a consideration, and includes (as examples, and not by way of limitation): retail merchants; persons engaged in trades and crafts; professionals, including doctors, lawyers, accountants and dentists; contractors; banks; savings and loan associations; and real estate agents. The act of employees rendering services to employers shall not be included in such terms unless otherwise specifically prescribed.

A separate license shall be required for each type of business and for each place of business located within Kanab City.

What is the purpose of a Business License?

The purpose of a business license is to regulate and license businesses within the corporate limits of Kanab City; to determine if businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances; to maintain a safe environment for the general public; and to assure that zoning, building, and fire codes are enforced.

How do I get a Kanab City Business License?

Obtaining a business license in Kanab City begins by submitting a Business License Application and a Back Ground Check Release form. This application and any applicable fees must be submitted in person to the Kanab City Office at 76 North Main St.

For seasonal and other temporary uses (fireworks, Christmas tree lot, etc) a Temporary Use Permit must also be obtained.

Door to Door sales, or Solicitors, need to fill out a Solicitor's Application and a Back Ground Check Release form.

What are the fees?

  • Business License
    • $50.00 per year plus $10.00 per each employee
  • Solicitor License
    • Day Permit Fee: $25.00 per person
    • Week (7 Day) Permit Fee: $50.00 per person
    • Fourteen Day Permit Fee: $75.00 per person
    • Three-Month to Twelve-Month Permit Fee: $150.00
  • Mass Gatherings
    • $100.00 for each 24-hour period
    • $250.00 for each 24-hour period with 300 or more persons
  • Special Sales Event
    • Must have a current City Business License
  • Non-Profit Special Events
    • $5.00 per business for each day of operation
  • Seasonal Business
    • $50.00 plus $25.00 Fire Inspection fee
  • Beer License
    • Class A License $125.00
    • Class B License $125.00
    • Class C License $300.00
    • Class D License $300.00
    • Class E License $125.00
    • Class F License $25.00 per day
  • Late Fee
    • $10.00 30 days past the due date
    • $25.00 60 days past the due date

Business Licensing FAQs

Who needs to register their business?

All businesses in Utah are required by law to register with the Utah Department of Commerce either as a "DBA" (Doing Business As), corporation, limited liability company or limited partnership. In addition, certain types of businesses need special licenses and permits in order to operate, i.e., insurance agents, contractors, doctors and dry cleaners, etc. Businesses are also required to obtain a business license from the city or county in which they are located.

Why are businesses required to register?

Registration insures that the business name cannot be legally used by another business. The more you use the registered name and become known to the public by name, the more legal protection your name earns against "predatory encroachment" by other businesses. Registration is required so that a comprehensive state registry of all business and corporate information is available for public reference. This information is vital to an orderly legal system and marketplace. Without it, the public or other businesses may have no way of knowing the persons with whom they are doing business. In addition, registration is required by law to provide public notice as to who owns or stands behind a business entity. You cannot file a lawsuit in court as a business if your business is not registered. Registration enables careful business people to verify information about companies with whom they do business.

How can I register my business name?

You can register a business name through Utah's OneStop Online Business Registration Website or Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code 160 East 300 South, 2nd Floor Salt Lake City, Utah 84145-0801 (801) 530-4849.

How do I get a sales tax number?

You can apply online through Utah's OneStop Online Business Registration Website.

Where do I get a business license application?

You can obtain applications at the Kanab City Office which is located at 76 North Main St. or you may download the forms. Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For more information call (435) 644-2534.

How do I renew my license?

Renewal notices for the following year are mailed by the City Office thirty (30) days prior to expiration. Payments are due on or before thirty (30) day after the expiration date.

What are the penalties if the payment is late?

Delinquent licenses are assessed a $10.00 late penalty after thirty (30) days past the due date and $25.00 late penalty after sixty (60) days past the due date.

What if my business changes location within the City Limits of Kanab?

Business licenses are issued for a specific business address. Changes in address require an application for the new location.

What if my business closes or moves out of Kanab City?

If your business status changes, please notify the business license department using one of the following methods: Email the business name, license number, address and date of closure to Send a letter which includes the business name, license number, address and date of closure to: Kanab City Attn: Business Licensing 76 North Main Street Kanab, UT 84741.

Are licenses transferable?

A business license cannot be transferred from one person or business to another. A new license must be applied for when a change of ownership of the business takes place.